Mozilla has announced the release of Firefox 7 into the Aurora Channel.
the latest developer preview is “focused on delivering performance enhancements and optimizing memory utilization”, addressing a problem that long-time users of the open source browser have been complaining about for ages.
New in Firefox Aurora:
- Performance Enhancements: Faster startup time on Mac, Windows, and Linux
- Optimized Memory Use:
- Improved memory management: For many users, memory use is reduced by 30 percent or more, responsiveness is enhanced
- Firefox Sync: Bookmarks and passwords now sync instantly
- Enhanced Font Rendering: Fonts are rendered clear and sharp
New platform features and developer tools:
- Telemetry: Users can opt-in for automatic memory usage, performance testing and reporting to help improve future versions Firefox
- Web timing spec: Measure performance characteristics of websites as users experience them
- Azure Direct2D for Canvas: Canvas-based animations on the Web are dramatically faster
- Support for CSS3 Text-Overflow: ellipsis: New and more elegant way to display text content that has overflowed its given layout area.